Friday, July 08, 2005

TIPS: insulate your hot water service!

I tried out a tip from the AMIEF website(see links on right). I wrapped some R1.0 recycled polyester insulation blanket around my hot water storage tank. I also 'lagged' the pipe which takes the hot water out of the unit and to the hot water taps. I just used some old blanket which I cut into a long strip and wrapped it carefully around the copper pipe.


The tank heated up right away! Hot water started making puddles on the floor...yikes I thought I had destroyed it until I checked the overflow outlet which goes out into the backyard. It was blocked by the watering can so I cleared the area away.
I have turned the thremostat down from where it was on HOT down to the LOWEST warm setting. Any lower and we'd be in the 'vacation' setting.
The water coming out of the shower(the furthest taps from the HWS) is deliciouly hot.
My conclucion is: what a great technique for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and the gas bill!

4 comments:

Leigh Blackall said...

Jeez Jo! That's a great idea! I have an electric heater at my house, it would work for that too... I reckon you could add one of those timer switches that plug in to the wall socket and set it to be off for 4-5 hours in the night, and another 4-5 in the midday... tweak to find the sweat spot where the blanky keeps it hot just long anough for the electricity to kick in again... would there be a fire hazard?

Jo said...

The only thing I wonder about the timer switch is making sure the hot water didn't drop in temperature so much that when you turned the power on again it has to effectily heat up a tank of cold water which might use alot more electricity than maintaining a minimum temp..I guess that is what you mean by the 'sweet spot'.. experimental trials are good idea.
As for fire hazard, just use somethink with fire resistant properties. The insulation batts are good because they have to meet fire standards before they can be sold to insulate our ceilings. Just don't use fibreglass, its full of evil particles that get in your lungs. I don't think they should be allowed to sell fibreglass insulation for housing when we have better alternatives.
Around your unit you could use an old wool blanket, recycled polyester insulation batts, wool batts or wool/poly batts. Another funky and less bulky insulative material is like bubble wrap covered in reflective foil, its very neat and clean and called Air Cell http://www1.air-cell.com.au/ or Protherm http://www.protherm.com.au/ Just don't use anything synthetic which might melt. If you have a close look at your unit you will see places you should obviously leave a bit of space around. Any air or water outlets especially. Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

my name is samuel an HND student in the building tehnology world

i learnt a lot of things from your site as well as the comments that people gave.

i will also like to know more on the following

1.hot water services in the building laying emphasis on the central boiler and unit heaters. (listing the various types, inventions and benefits to the built environment)

2. joints and valves used in plumbing works, (the type you have, basic characteristics, how there are constructed, tested and were each should be used)

3. boning and sight rails. (what they are and the role they play in the plumbing system in the built environment

if there are any related sites to these enquires, please direct me to them

this is my e-mail address for my answers MARGNETO@YAHOO.COM

Jo said...

Hi Sam, sounds like you have an assignment to do! When you have finished, you can send it to me and I'll post it up on the website if you like! Here is a good on-line plumbing forum which should be able to help you! http://www.masterplumbers.com/forums/
Good Luck! Jo