Tuesday, August 09, 2005

TIPS: How I benefited from insulating the HWS

You may recall my TIP from July to
"insulate your hot water service"
We recieved our gas bill today for May, June, July.
Compared to the last bill, on this bill we had one extra flatmate who is a persistant showerer; the gas rate has been increased ; and the hot water service(HWS) has been insulated for only one of those months, yet our GAS BILL HAS GONE DOWN ! By $10 mind you, so I look forward to posting the results for next quarters bill which will ALL be delivered by the insulated HWS!

5 comments:

Leigh Blackall said...

That's great Jo! I'm still thinking how to do this on mine... Its outdoors, it steams a lot, and leaks a bit. "Not my house" and as if the land lord would care...

Am thinking to insulate and build a shelter over it... hard work though.

Jo said...

Why don't you have a look at the aircell website or protherm
both are hardy insulative materials and won't mind getting wet. When you move house, you can just take it with you! You won't need much, just enough to wrap around once. You might like to put the shiny side on the inside rather than outside.

Leigh Blackall said...

Thanks Jo, these look great! I'm of to the local hardware to see if they've got it, or can get it in...

Anonymous said...

Jo- not sure if You'll look at this as I'm commenting on old article. Any chance I could use this phot and reference your blog. I run workshops on both energy and eco reenovation and think this is a fabulous story.
Tracy

Jo said...

Hi Tracy,
go for your life! Use the photo and Feel free to tell your students this web address so they can access all the good stuff I keep in this site!
xJO